Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Autism: Genetics, Environmental Factor, or something else?



Through research I came across an article about autism and environmental factors. For the last three decades, autism has been blamed on genetics. There is new evidence that suggest that environmental factors play a role in autism. We have several autistic children in our school who I have gotten to know. They are all very bright students, but need a lot of structure.

I talked to my colleague who teaches inclusion and her perspective on autism was not that it was just genetics or just environmental factors that effect the behavior of an autistic child, but rather a combination. She also believes that the way caregivers respond to an autistic child can effect the behavior. If teachers allow the child to have the melt down because he doesn't want to write, then she said that is like reinforcing his fears and anxiety. If we respond differently, would this change the behavior?

Her perspective gives hope! If we entirely blame it on genetics or the environment, we may not be creating an environment where the child can reach his full potential. I have never thought about it in this way. The very first time I had inclusion, I did have that mindset that there was nothing I could really do except what the IEP told me to do. Having something that solely is to blame for autism allows a caregiver to not push those children.

2 comments:

  1. Kim,
    I really like the caregivers response to children who are autistic. I myself have never had a lot of experience with children with autism or any other childhood disorders. I never thought of the response to an action as reinforcing fears or anxiety, but this applies to all children. I think the consistency is key for children with autism and our reactions do make a difference. I also know that when following an IEP somethings change that do not work and we have to do what is right for the child.

    Thanks for the enlightening post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an area that educators need more information on. I believe that caregiver response has a great impact on student behavior and performance. I wonder if caregiver fears or uncertainties affect how they respond to students with autism or other childhood disorders. I have had inclusion students, not autistic. I have found that regardless of the IEP or other file, when they realize that you are on their side, they want to please you.

    ReplyDelete