Friday, September 11, 2015

The interview Process

Hello Class mates! I hope everyone is doing well and coming along with their studies! The interview process is progressing. I reached to my two contacts and such great responses. One proceeded to share several things with me before I actually conducted a formal interview. He is thrilled to be helping me and is so full of knowledge about my particular topic, which is chronic absences. Both of the contacts that I have chosen will be done face to face, as they are both local. I work with one of them full time and the other one visits my school once a week. We have emailed and texted several times already.
Mr. Snell makes home visits to assist families with challenges. As our interview progressed, he told me of an incident where he visited the home of a family whose child is chronically absent from school. Upon visiting the home, he found that alcoholism was a part of this family. The child had an older brother who dropped out of school in the 10th grade. Mr. Snell helped the family connect with a local rehabilitation center. The child of that family is now a senior in high school and is planning on attending college.

It is stories like these that make you realize how important we are to a child’s life and sometimes their family. We have the power to help kids and their families by connecting them with the resources needed to overcome challenges that they otherwise would be unable to do. I am looking forward to conducting my formal interviews with both contacts. The interviews will be an interesting way to gather information needed for my project. It will be fun to ask a question and see where it goes! Reading articles is definitely informative, but getting perspectives and be able to actually talk to someone will be a different avenue to explore!!

1 comment:

  1. Kim,

    I am glad that your interview process is moving smoothly. Chronic absences in early childhood are a predictor for the child’s achievement in 5th grade. When children have a large amount of absents in kindergarten they miss out on a lot instructional that ultimately affects their ability to read. I believe your project would benefit early educator by giving us strategies to reduce chronic absenteeism.

    ReplyDelete