Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Effective Communication

When communicating an idea to politicians or the public, Mindset Tools (n.d.) states that there are 7 C’s that one should follow in order to effectively communicate. They are to be clear, concise, coherent, concrete, correct, courteous and complete. All though each of these is important, I believe that clear and correct are two very important communication skills to possess when leading policy change.  Being clear can minimize misunderstandings and misconceptions. It would be better to get your point across the first time and not have to readdress misunderstood issues later. When communicating to policy leaders and the public, the information presented must be correct, as well. Misinformation leads to distrust and convincing will be difficult.


I completed the Communication Anxiety Inventory and scored a 72. This score indicates that I have elevated anxiety when speaking in public and my ability to effectively communicate, which is not news to me. I recall a time in college when I had to give a speech and I was so scared that I took an F for my grade. I have gotten better with age as my confidence has grown, but I know that I still have weaknesses that need to be addressed. When I have ever had to speak in front of a crowd, I feel as though being clear is a problem. I become so nervous that I think I ramble on and I cannot even remember what I have said. I have to ask someone if I did O.K. In order to make your stance and be convincing, effective communication is essential.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    I do agree with you that clear communication is of utmost importance. It is also important to be prepared before trying to present a topic. It's o.k. to be nervous, I've heard experience speakers say they are a little nervous, but that did not negatively affect their speech. I hope you have overcome your fear of public speaking. Thanks for sharing the 7 C's and your result, I did not finish mine, so you did better that me. Much Love.
    Smart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fredricka!!! I have not completely overcome my fear of public speaking. I am better in small meetings, but don't ask me to stand up and redeliver anything. I am a work in progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fredricka!!! I have not completely overcome my fear of public speaking. I am better in small meetings, but don't ask me to stand up and redeliver anything. I am a work in progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,
    What a terrible feeling it must be to be SO anxious to speak in front of people?! I don't feel great about speaking in front of a crowd, and would rather be quietly observing from the back, but I feel if I am extremely comfortable and knowledgeable of the topic at hand I do feel okay about it! Our EdD program has increased my knowledge base and skill set to the point that I do feel comfortable sharing what I've learned. I think one thing I try to remember when speaking to a group is that no one is judging and it's alright to acknowledge the fact that I don't have all the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberly,
    I can remember taking speech in undergrad and feeling the same as you but once I started to speak more the less anxious I became. Clear and concise are two important forms of communication I agree many issues are not clear and understandable to others and may cause others to not be interested in a particular issue. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberly, many people have had your experience. No worries! Thinking of one's role as a facilitator of the conversation, rather than as the 'expert speaker,' sometimes helps! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete