Thursday, January 21, 2016

Social Media Platforms

To communicate my policy issue, the two social media platforms that I would choose would be facebook and youtube. I would choose facebook because it will reach many people at the local level. Facebook would include a large audience, but not as large as some. It would be directed towards people I know and are associated with one way or another. I feel that mental health care and particularly children’s mental healthcare is a topic that would catch the interest of people locally quicker by using facebook. Disseminating information through facebook would help me reach other teachers, principals, and others in the district, as well as other districts. I would be about to reach the mayor of my town, as well as a local newspaper writer because I am friends with them directly on facebook.  
The use of youtube would allow me to reach people in mass with this problem that I am sure many schools and teachers face. You tube will reach many more people than facebook. Anyone from around the world can search any subject that interests them. If people like the youtube video that I present, it could possibly go viral. The audience that I could reach with youtube could be on a local level, as well as getting attention at the national level.
Obviously there are benefits, as well as challenges to using social media to communicate. One benefit is that it can reach mass levels with the click of a button. Auer (2011) mentions a challenge that when the majority of participants in social media are young adults, aging from 18-29. This could possibly eliminate the intended audience.
References

Auer, M. R. (2011). The policy sciences of social media. Policy Studies Journal, 39(4), 709–736.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases

6 comments:

  1. Kim,
    Thank you for reminding me about You Tube! It slipped my mind as we were doing this assignment. You Tube is a great avenue to use to visually and verbally get your policy plan across to others.
    LaKeesha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Facebook, You Tube is another form of social media that I love to utilize, especially in my classroom. I have never made a video, but I can definitely see how the use of this social media outlet could be beneficial in promoting policy issues and reaching a large audience! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,
    Like LaKeesha stated, "Thanks for the You Tube reminder." It is ironic because I view a video from that site almost daily. Some of my colleagues have You Tube channels and have found it useful. I am the mom of a teen and he tells me of new mediums often. Just when I think I am familiar of interested in researching one, a new one is created. I simply cannot keep up. For now, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are ideal for sharing policy issues.
    Navine
    Navine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Navine!!! Technology moves and changes quickly! I can hardly keep up either. I have used Youtube to put a video of my own child singing and I could not believe how easy it was!!! It has been several years, now and I probably cannot remember how to do it!! hahaha!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Kim,
    I agree, Facebook and You Tube are great media attention getters. Facebook allow you to reach a vast variety of followers that can share and comment and enlarge your audience. You Tube on the other hand allows interested individuals to take sets in sharing, liking and also to get them on board to taking actions about the issue you are promoting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete